Project Planning Team
Executive Sponsor: Anne Milkovich, CIO
Project Sponsor: Victor Alatorre, Director of Infrastructure
Project Manager: Kevin Boldt, IS Technical Services Specialist
Technical Lead: George Paul, Telecommunications Services Senior
Team Members: Mary Hale, Dan Petersen, Erik May, Michelle Loker, Laura Knaapen
- Voice over IP Project is approx. 80% complete (~1,550 lines switched from Analog to VoIP).
- Phases 1-4 have been delivered and ported (see Cut Over List ).
- Please keep your old analog phone connected until it loses dial tone.
Voice Over IP Project
Along with all the other campuses in the UW System, Oshkosh needs to modernize its telephone communication systems to meet current and future needs, as the existing AT&T system is being discontinued. A more robust infrastructure and modern telephone communication system, known as Voice over IP (VoIP), will deliver voice and video communications as well as other collaboration services over the Internet. The new VoIP system will provide a platform for better remote collaboration and learning, improve emergency notification, and over time will reduce telephone costs. However, the upfront investment in catching up the Oshkosh infrastructure to modern standards is significant.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install upgraded network infrastructure across campus to sustain present and future anticipated needs.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install the VoIP core system.
- Research telephone needs and offer a limited and standard selection of telephones to meet campus needs.
- Develop a funding model that will support the upfront investment and ongoing costs.
- Plan and execute a roll out that is manageable within available resources while reducing impact to campus.
- Plan adequate training and support for constituents in the adoption of the new system.
- Provide a high degree of transparency and communication to prepare constituents and inform them of progress.
- Phase 3 has been ported to Voice over IP on 7/13/2017.
- Phase 4 has been ported to Voice over IP on 7/20/2017.
- The project team is preparing for Phase 5 delivery/setup of VoIP phones (see Cut Over List) with deliveries starting 8/4/2017.
- Titan Central Information Line (x1234) on 8/15/2017 (tentative date)
- Student Health Center on 8/25/2017 (tentative date)
- Reeve Union and Blackhawk Commons on 8/24/2017 (tentative date)
- Evaluating elevator phone, blue light emergency phones, and fax machines for a possible migration from analog lines to Voice over IP.