Project Planning Team
Executive Sponsor: Anne Milkovich, CIO
Project Sponsor: Victor Alatorre, Director of Infrastructure
Project Manager: Kevin Boldt, IS Technical Services Senior
Technical Lead: George Paul, Telecommunications Specialist
Other Team Members: Mary Hale, Dan Petersen, Laura Knaapen
- VoIP hardware has arrived.
- VoIP circuits have been installed in Dempsey and Horizon.
- AT&T system connection and test date is March 6.
- Deployment plan is drafted.
- IT Pilot Test scheduled for April.
Voice Over IP Project
Along with all the other campuses in the UW System, Oshkosh needs to modernize its telephone communication systems to meet current and future needs, as the existing AT&T system is being discontinued. A more robust infrastructure and modern telephone communication system, known as Voice over IP (VoIP), will deliver voice and video communications as well as other collaboration services over the Internet. The new VoIP system will provide a platform for better remote collaboration and learning, improve emergency notification, and over time will reduce telephone costs. However, the upfront investment in catching up the Oshkosh infrastructure to modern standards is significant.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install upgraded network infrastructure across campus to sustain present and future anticipated needs.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install the VoIP core system.
- Research telephone needs and offer a limited and standard selection of telephones to meet campus needs.
- Develop a funding model that will support the upfront investment and ongoing costs.
- Plan and execute a roll out that is manageable within available resources while reducing impact to campus.
- Plan adequate training and support for constituents in the adoption of the new system.
- Provide a high degree of transparency and communication to prepare constituents and inform them of progress.
Recent: Phones and network switches have arrived. VoIP circuits have been installed in Dempsey and Horizon data centers. A deployment schedule has been drafted but it depends on timing with AT&T and installation of building network switches. Project update has been emailed to campus.
Next: The team will travel to Whitewater for preliminary training. Work needs to be done on how to implement the funding model. Programmers will be modifying the current PeopleSoft telephone data and billing module. Staff will begin installing building switches.