Project Planning Team
Executive Sponsor: Anne Milkovich, CIO
Project Sponsor: Victor Alatorre, Director of Infrastructure
Project Manager: Kevin Boldt, IS Technical Services Specialist
Technical Lead: George Paul, Telecommunications Services Senior
Other Team Members: Mary Hale, Dan Petersen, Erik May, Michelle Loker, Laura Knaapen
- IT staff in Dempsey Hall will begin using their new VoIP Phones.
- To dial IT staff in Dempsey Hall use 9-424-XXXX.
- In order to begin the next phase of deployment, IT will send out a worksheet to collect user, caller ID, and phone extension information.
Voice Over IP Project
Along with all the other campuses in the UW System, Oshkosh needs to modernize its telephone communication systems to meet current and future needs, as the existing AT&T system is being discontinued. A more robust infrastructure and modern telephone communication system, known as Voice over IP (VoIP), will deliver voice and video communications as well as other collaboration services over the Internet. The new VoIP system will provide a platform for better remote collaboration and learning, improve emergency notification, and over time will reduce telephone costs. However, the upfront investment in catching up the Oshkosh infrastructure to modern standards is significant.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install upgraded network infrastructure across campus to sustain present and future anticipated needs.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install the VoIP core system.
- Research telephone needs and offer a limited and standard selection of telephones to meet campus needs.
- Develop a funding model that will support the upfront investment and ongoing costs.
- Plan and execute a roll out that is manageable within available resources while reducing impact to campus.
- Plan adequate training and support for constituents in the adoption of the new system.
- Provide a high degree of transparency and communication to prepare constituents and inform them of progress.
Recent: IT staff in Dempsey Hall will have their phone service switched to VoIP April 20. Building switch upgrades continue across campus. Once our beta test is complete, we will provide more information on which buildings or areas will be next to receive their phones. 911 service is being tested and needs to be resolved before further deployment.
Next: IT staff will thoroughly test VoIP service and instructions to make sure we’re ready to provide these to the campus. VoIP team is continuing to be trained on back-end administration of the system. The general plan is to complete campus deployment between June and September.