Project Planning Team
Executive Sponsor: John Koker, Interim Provost
Project Sponsor: Anne Milkovich, CIO
Project Manager: Laura Knaapen, Director of IT User Services
Sarah Bradway, Instructional Designer
Jennifer Hendryx, Instructional Designer
Jordan Landry, CETL Director
Brian Ledwell, Instructional Technology Specialist
- Trainers have been trained.
- Reviewing timing of cohort classes.
- Final date for D2L is July 31, 2019
Digital Learning Environment (DLE)
The UW System contract with Desire2Learn (D2L) is currently set to expire June 30, 2020. The Requests For Proposals (RFP) process ended recently with award of the contract to Instructure for their Canvas product. UW System has already begun organizing projects on each campus to plan for the transition from D2L to Canvas. D2L will remain as the Digital Learning Management or Learning Management System for our campus until at least Fall 2019. There will be no immediate change in system or service.
Canvas, our new Digital Learning Environment, will have both Fixed and Flexible components. While Canvas is a common system managed by UW System through the Learn@UW Utility, all campuses will be involved in determining how Canvas is configured: roles, integrations, which components are fixed or flexible. The Fixed items are to ensure a consistent student experience. The Flexible items will allow instructors to use what fits best with their subjects and ways of teaching. The configuration of Canvas will take place over the next six to eight months. During this time system administrators and trainers will learn Canvas, so they can provide training and support to the rest of campus. Instructors will be asked to review their courses and course content to reduce unnecessary migration work. Migration plans and instructions will be shared with instructors in group training, open labs, and one-on-one sessions. Early adopters may be sought to assist with testing the new system.
- Minimize the disruption for students and instructors.
- Provide a consistent student experience across all UW System campuses.
- Use only one DLE/LMS for all students on the UW Oshkosh campus.
- Train the trainers session was held.
- Production and test environments opened to admins.
- Open forum Thursday, April 26.
- Pilot instructor kickoff meeting.
- Creating instructor training courses.
“Secrets of Canvas Revealed”
DLE open forum#5 January 24, 2017 (video)