Project Planning Team
Executive Sponsor: Anne Milkovich, CIO
Project Sponsor: Victor Alatorre, Director of Infrastructure
Project Manager: Kevin Boldt, IS Technical Services Specialist
Technical Lead: George Paul, Telecommunications Services Senior
Team Members: Mary Hale, Dan Petersen, Erik May, Michelle Loker, Laura Knaapen
- VoIP transition is 95% complete.
Voice Over IP Project
Along with all the other campuses in the UW System, Oshkosh needs to modernize its telephone communication systems to meet current and future needs, as the existing AT&T system is being discontinued. A more robust infrastructure and modern telephone communication system, known as Voice over IP (VoIP), will deliver voice and video communications as well as other collaboration services over the Internet. The new VoIP system will provide a platform for better remote collaboration and learning, improve emergency notification, and over time will reduce telephone costs. However, the upfront investment in catching up the Oshkosh infrastructure to modern standards is significant.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install upgraded network infrastructure across campus to sustain present and future anticipated needs.
- Research, evaluate, select, and install the VoIP core system.
- Research telephone needs and offer a limited and standard selection of telephones to meet campus needs.
- Develop a funding model that will support the upfront investment and ongoing costs.
- Plan and execute a roll out that is manageable within available resources while reducing impact to campus.
- Plan adequate training and support for constituents in the adoption of the new system.
- Provide a high degree of transparency and communication to prepare constituents and inform them of progress.
- Converted and tested Dempsey Hall fax machines on VoIP system.
- Beta tested VoIP Voicemail-to-email service and gathered feedback.
- Communicated with Facilities Management and vendors about elevator phone service.
- Preparing to switch University Police to VoIP.